E-Mail: email@example.com Twitter: @mattlindner
- I am an experienced, social-media savvy professional communicator with nearly ten years of experience across a variety of disciplines including journalism, social media, and public relations. Throughout the course of my career, I’ve successfully turned a variety of different materials on deadline while leveraging various social platforms to drive traffic to websites and engagement with target audiences.
Associate Editor, Internet Retailer, Chicago, IL September 2014-Present
- Writer and editor responsible for developing and assigning story ideas, conducting interviews with industry leaders, and writing SEO-friendly copy including long-form features and breaking news under non-negotiable deadlines. Helped grow social media engagement by 15% and page views to our website by 20% by creating engaging and relevant content. Analyze earnings reports and conduct extensive market research to produce industry-leading guides. Leverage social media presence to increase web traffic. Copy edit articles for publishing on our website. Post stories online using our content management system.
Freelance Writer, Various Outlets (RedEye, Chicago Sun-Times, ESPN.com), Chicago, IL April 2010-Present
- Since 2010, I’ve been a freelance writer covering everything from entrepreneurship for the Chicago Sun-Times’ business section to news and sports features for RedEye, a Chicago Tribune publication. I’ve successfully and adeptly written about a wide range of topics ranging from health issues to the city’s startup scene. I’ve leveraged both Twitter and Facebook to drive traffic to websites and engagement with my audience, occasionally conducting interviews via Twitter.
Volunteer Event Marketing Chair, Open Heart Magic, Chicago, IL December 2013-April 2015
- Served as the marketing chair for not-for-profit Open Heart Magic’s annual Tricks Are For Kids Benefit. Wrote press releases and media alerts designed to generate interest in the brand. Developed media list and conduct direct outreach to targeted journalists. Coordinated interview and photo requests for company spokespersons.
Communication Sales Specialist, Marketwired, Chicago, IL April 2013-April 2014
- Developed e-mail messaging and sales proposals designed to generate interest among targeted buyers. Researched a list of companies and key decision makers to reach out to. Tailored messaging based on potential pain points and solutions that we could offer.
Business Development Representative – Recruitment Advertising, Tribune Company, Chicago, IL February 2012-March 2013
- Collaborated with clients to develop SEO-friendly copy aimed at targeting jobseekers searching CareerBuilder.com postings. Improved performance of job postings by suggesting key words and phrases. Established effective working relationships with levels from administrative assistants to CEOs.
Public Relations Account Executive, Public Communications Inc., Chicago, IL September 2010-June 2011
- Developed media outreach and social media strategies for clients across a variety of industries including technology, tourism and business-to-consumer. Wrote press releases, executive bios, media pitches and other materials designed to generate interest. Live-tweeted events and measured success using specific metrics. Worked with clients to develop hashtags that were easy to measure and monitor.
Television News Reporter/Photographer, KWQC-TV (NBC affiliate), Davenport, IA August 2007-March 2010
- Helped manage the station’s Facebook and Twitter pages on the weekend, using them to drive engagement and contributing to a nearly four-fold increase in followers over a 12-month span. Wrote about topics ranging from local government to breaking news stories for our website under tight deadlines. Worked with skeleton crew on weekends to determine coverage plans across a broad geographic area.
Television News Reporter/Photographer, WIFR-TV (CBS affiliate), Rockford, IL March 2006-November 2006
- Hard news reporter and photographer responsible for writing web copy on topics ranging from breaking news to local government. Was responsible for covering county board each week, taking complex issues and turning them into something that could be understood by the general public in a short period of time. Worked with a team to plan weekend news coverage across a two-state coverage area.
- Familiarity with MS Office suite, TweetDeck, Facebook, some Adobe Creative suite, Salesforce, content development, social media strategy, feature writing, press releases, media pitches, community engagement.
- Master of Arts, Television Broadcast Journalism, University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL — August 2005
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN — May 2004